Re: Re: [PyrNet-L] early spaying/neutering & squatting males

<<Alas peer pressure may change that!!  Albert used to just squat, but after
seeing his dad and other male dogs lift a leg, now when marking for
territory, he lifts his leg.   Think the higher they mark the more they feel
like "Top Dog"!!!  Trying to revive one bush now. >>

Actually, I think it's probably instinct, not patterning or peer pressure.
Hawkeye was only a few months old when he was blinded. He had never seen
another dog. He was still squatting to pee. After the accident, I took him
away from "Those Awful People", and stuck him in a crew of females. At this
point he was no more than five or six months old, still squatting, blind as a
bat. So he never saw a male dog lift a leg, never was among males to know by
mental telepathy, or crotch sniffing, or any other connection. Yet, at about
18 months he started lifting his leg! We'd had him neutered as soon as he
began exhibiting sexual behavior, afraid he'd decide to go cruising and get
himself bumped off. We figured he'd never lift his leg..... oh, well, no big
deal.
This boy was truly amazing. Could walk across the kitchen on his hind legs,
straight up, then dance around in a tight circle. Hiked, ran, played. Went up
and down stairs. Remembered my mothers house so well that when we went up
twice a year he never ran into anything. If he did run into something he was
never cross, or discouraged, or cowering. He trusted me absolutely,
completely. Hawkeye had the heart of six dogs, all tied up in that little
Cock-a-Poo/ terrier body.
Where was I going with that?
I just had to say it. He was such a good guy.

I think your squatting male will eventually figure out how to properly render
his doggy salute!

Kathy & the furry crew