[PyrNet-L] ACL Surgery Experience

Dear Elisa and other pyr list folks:

I saw your post regarding Boris, his ACL problems and the Oregon vet.
I've not posted to the list before but here's a time where I can
contribute.  I have two pyr's Buster, a male who is 4 and Shasta a
female who is five.  Buster had hurt his leg somehow when he was a
little over two years old and our local vet referred us over to Dr.
Slocum in Eugene who diagnosed him with a torn ACL (and smashed
miniscus) and performed the surgery I believe you were trying to
describe (he's does bring in other vets to teach it).  I think I have a
flyer in my files somewhere... if it would help.   The doc specializes
in big dogs and particularly working dogs and came up with this surgery
from working with these type of dogs over a number of years.  He said it
is a fairly common problem in dogs with long legs as there is more
pressure on the knee joint and ligaments.  Only correction I would make
to your description is that he actually attaches a metal plate to the
front of one of the leg bones that has the notch on it that stops the
other bone from slipping - thus eliminating the need for the ACL.

It worked like a charm on Buster!  Recovery is supposed to be really
slow so that they don't tear something else... but Buster was walking
normal in just a couple days (we did follow orders though and kept him
in a pen for the required period).  Buster didn't complain at all...
other then that he thought sitting around was pretty boring!  The doctor
was amazed at how fast Buster recovered at his 6 week check up (or maybe
he was just making us feel good <bg>).  Of course, I think being a pyr
had something to do with it... these dogs have great constitutions!
Buster's now in better running shape than my husband (his exercise
buddy).  It's been two years and no problems at all.  Yes, it's
expensive... both our local vet and the surgon thought the injury would
simply repeat itself if we tried more traditional methods... due to
Busters extremely long legs and his playful nature.   And, considering
Buster was so young... we thought he'd get a lot of use out of it. It's
a hard decision to make...I know it's not easy.  But in terms of whether
the surgery will work I can at least give you one dog's experience!  If
you want more information, feel free to email me and I'll try to answer
your questions.  Good luck with Boris!

Barb Harris
Bend, Oregon
Bharri7@ibm.net