Re: [PyrNet-L] Health: Care:cats

We have a stray problem in our area.  Unlike your situation, they don't
belong to anyone in particular.  As a result, our cat has never been
allowed outside as we don't want her running with them and picking up
diseases.  We don't even have a patio that she uses. She has been
indoors since the day we brought her home from the animal shelter.
Actually, our animal shelter will not let you adopt a cat unless you
agree to keep in indoors 100% of the time and if you get one and it is
picked up outdoors, they will never let you have another one.  Luckily,
the strays seem intimidated by our Pyr and don't really come around
since we have gotten her.  If they even step into the front yard which
she can't even access, she starts barking and they don't come any
further.  Even though she spends more time inside than out, the cats
have just learned to stay away.  I am grateful because I know they have
never had any medical care.  In the past when we have had them that
seemed to take up permanent residence with us, my husband has taken them
to the shelter.  We have a lovely cat, and she is the only one we want!
It's hard enough to keep our pyr puppy from trying to eat her some
nights when they start playing too rough!

You can buy the shots and give them yourselves, but that is quite an
expense if there are 10 cats (probably not spayed/neutered so maybe more
down the road) and they aren't even yours!  It's also an annual expense,
not a one time deal.  I know that around here, you can usually arrange
to get shots done at the humane society for any small donation amount if
you provide household income info and it is determined that you really
can't afford it.  This is a touchy subject for me because I know that
people love their pets, but I don't feel like you should ever aquire a
pet unless you have the lifetime commitment of caring for that animal in
every way necessary, including having the financial ability to pay for
routine medical care and preventives.  However, it is a tough area.
Does that mean that poorer children should grow up without pets, etc?

Good luck with your problem.  It's not an easy one.

Kris