Re: [PyrNet-L] health/dwarfs

In a message dated 6/2/1999 2:55:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ARIEGE@xtra.co.nz writes:

<< Sure I'll be honest with anyone BUT what if it's thrown back
 in my face after I have discussed any problems with "someone" and that then
 gives them the right to run down my breeding?? This has happened to me so
 many times over the years with people I have started off in the Breed that
 it wants to make me back off and keep my mouth shut!!  >>
Hi,
This is the biggest problem here with dwarfs.  It is (or was) taboo and no
one would ever talk about it.  Where does that get you though?  People need
to talk about it so breeders can make educated decisions about their breeding
programs.  In many ways I would prefer (although I would not go looking for
it) to have a dwarf in my litter box than luxating patella's, epilepsy, etc.,
because at 5 weeks you know what you have and can make a decision right away.
 With the others, they don't manifest themselves till much later and
families/puppy buyers are then involved and there is more heartache.
It seems that people are being more open about dwarfism here - more people
are talking about it and that can only help the breed - not hurt.
Karen Justin
Impyrial Pyrenees
www.impyrial.com