Re: [PyrNet-L] Dwarfs

Linda Weisser sent me the following information that I can share with you
all.  Hopefully the marker project is moving and in the capable hands of
those who may be able to supply us some reasonable tool that we can use to
eliminate the problem where it stands.  I am reproducing Linda's email below.

Linda Weisser said:

"The marker project is just about
ready for blood draws.  We have nearly 10 dwarf "litters" that will be
participating, thanks to the honesty and guts of the breeders.  It is
important for this work that we get not only dwarfs and normal sibs but
parents and grandparents where we can.  Unfortunately, in some cases we
have "lost" ancestors because the parties involved did not share the
information until those dogs were dead.  Nonetheless we may be very close
to enough dogs to work with.  Mark Neff who is doing the work will start
once he has a sufficient number of samples.  In order for this to have a
possibility of succeeding it is critical that all the blood samples come in
a controlled fashion, all correctly numbered and linked to the other dogs.
While it is true that breeders are the "breed" it is only though an
organized plan done probably by a club (as it was with Mals) that any of it
can be achieved.

What I am trying to say is that it *is* being done; courageous and committed
people are participating.  Every one of the 5 people really involved in the
dwarf projects in the breed have either produced dwarfs or have owned or
bred dogs who produced dwarfs.  We have an absolute commitment to this.
Unfortunately, it is not easy and it takes a lot of time and work to do it
correctly.  Special display pedigrees have to be created that have numbers
and not names and link dogs from all various breedings.  Anyone who has
read Dr. Padgett's book will see numerous pedigrees like this. It is not an
overnight job.  Tami Green with her "engineers" mind has worked on this.
Mary Beth Vaudrin has obtained the correct vials.  Incidentally, all blood
draws must be in vials that contain the correct "medium" for preservation.
Plain old vials of blood will not work.  Those vials will be sent to
participants correctly numbered with detailed instructions. Any failure to
identify the dogs (by number) or get the right blood into the right vial
will create inaccurate results.  DNA marker identification is a very
precise business. And in the end, of course, we may
not find the marker we are after.

And, quite frankly, I am amazed, impressed and even humbled (who, me?? <g>)
by the honesty of breeders.  I talk to these people a lot.  If and when we
solve this problem their names should be engraved somewhere in gold."

Those of you who have dogs that might be able to help in the study should
contact the people directly.  Linda can be reached at:

lmweisser@olywa.net (Linda Weisser)

Lets get this stopped right here.  This benefits no one.  None of us want it.
 Even those unfortunate people who have it would like not to have it.  The
people who are afraid to talk about it would I am sure love not to have to
hide this.  This seems to me to be one of those rare things that we can
really sink our teeth into and make a difference.

I offered my help to one of the members mentioned above at the last National
and I offer it again.  I am sure many others would be willing to help in any
way possible.

One of the things Linda said above was:

<<And in the end, of course, we may
not find the marker we are after.>>

If this happens it will be up to the breeders to cull and stop this genetic
disease by selective breeding and following breedings that have any
possibility of problems.  We will all have to work on this and help one
another.

Joe