[PyrNet-L] CHAT, HEALTH: Clondike--the Hot Dog

Clondike is an 11 1/2 year-old Pyr bitch who has been undergoing
chemotherapy for lymphoma for almost a year (51 weeks today).

Today Clondike was pronounced in full remission after only 2 treatments
with the DMAC protocol, newly developed at Ohio State.  It is supposed to
be administered for at least 5 cycles of 2 treatments (10 weeks).  The
oncologist said there is no evidence of any cancer in the nodes, so she
plans to postpone any further chemo until the nodes enlarge :).

Clondike maintained a 1st remission of 16 weeks (post-chemo) on a
traditional protocol.  When we were unable to achieve a 2nd full remission
with the first-line drugs, we tried 3 treatments of DMAC and achieved a 12
week remission (75% of 1st remission).  While DMAC is too new to have much
of a track record and for many dogs it "doesn't do squat," we are hopeful
that Clondike will be able to hold a remission for at least 9 weeks
without any chemo.  This should give us a chance to build her back up and
pay some bills.

The 1st DMAC treatment of this past cycle was tolerated with essentially
no reaction thanks to the use of injectable Centrine for nausea and
diarrhea control.  Treatment 2 (a different set of chemicals) was a very
different story.  At least Clondike refrained from getting sick on
Memorial Day, but beginning at 2 am Tuesday morning, she vomited
constantly for 14 hours, sometimes 3 times an hour.  She likes to pick a
different corner each time, so the house has some interesting stains in
most rooms.  I should buy stock in Scott towels and Resolve carpet
cleaner.

Then we get to the title of this message.  Yes, Clondike is still one hot
floozy who can get the males charged up in the waiting room at the vet
clinic, but that is not what the title refers to.  This past Saturday,
when Clondike was seemingly returning to normal, she began to shiver at
12:01--of course the vet clinic has regular appointments until noon!

We took her temperature and it was 106, so we called the vet.  The tech
said up ice under her armpits and bring her in--so we did.  They took a
CBC and chem panel right away and then started hosing her down.  GThey had
her on a raised grating over a sink, with one tech spraying and one using
a pitcher to pour cold water over her.  I told them it looked like
Cleopatra being attended by her handmaidens!  Unfortunately Clondike's
temp went UP to 107.  Her white count came in at 500, when 6000 is low
normal.

So I ran home to get the Neupogen, a miracle drug that stimulates the bone
marrow to produce more white cells.  By the time I got back they had given
Clondike Banamine and had her settled on a dozen ice packs out in the
barn.  Her temp had come down to 103.

Because of a reaction to Neupogen the last time it was needed, the vet
administered an antihistamin and we stayed around for a few hours to make
sure Clondike wouldn't have an allergic reaction.  We finally went home
and Clondike seemed to have a mild pain response at about 7 hours after
the Neupogen was administered, but this was fine in about 3 hours.

We returned for white counts on Sunday and Monday, had a regular
appointment on Thursday, and saw the oncologist today.  I believe Clondike
has been in a vet's office 10 out of the last 14 days :(!

On the positive side, she ran laps around the living room last night when
I said "road trip," and she was thrilled to get to go to the oncologist
today.  She is eating small meals with enthusiasm, except when there is a
thunderstorm in the area.  Her eyes really lit up when the vet said we
should try to feed her 4 times a day!

Her white count has stabilized at 6200 and our vet thought last Saturday's
chem panel and last night's CBC were both pretty "normal" for a dog that
has been through so much.  We see the holistic vet on Monday and it will
be interesting to get his evaluation of her overall condition.

So now we get a checkup at the oncologist's every 2 weeks and try to put
some weight and muscle back on our girl.

Thanks for all the prayers and kind thoughts people have sent.  They
really help.  I'll keep you posted.

David

 David Kintsfather              | PHONE:       (610) 683-4497
 Dept. of Telecommunications    | FAX:         (610) 683-4659
 Kutztown University            | INTERNET:    kintsfat@kutztown.edu
 PO Box 730                     |   "We need not think alike to love alike."
 Kutztown, PA  19530-0730       |                Francis David