[PyrNet-L] size

 Cindy I have always admired the agile, quick fashion of the Pyr as opposed
to the other large/giant breeds. Mine could and can outrun  the Newfs and
Saints anyday at play. One I sent away some years ago for Goat protection
could turn "on a sixpence" the owner used to say if there was any threat to
her Goats she was like a streak of lightning.  I think the lesser bone mass
and weight in a Pyr compared to the other 2 Breeds anyway is there because
of the type of work they were expected to do. Don't know a lot about the
Akbash Breeds but from what I have seen is their  build similar to that of a
Pyr but without the big,thick coat? The Pyrenean Standards would surely not
have a weight/height paragraph if these had not been part of the original
standard from the country of origin (some  slightly different now). Do we
see Saint Bernards today trudging thru the snow offering brandy to lost
travellers ? No,  Do we see Newfoundlands  today swimming out to ships with
a rope in their mouths to save the sailors, No but we do see the Pyrenean
out there protecting what is his whether it has 4 or 2 legs. I could not
imagine the Irish Wolfhounds I see here bringing down a beast. I could not
imagine the Bernese in this country working with the cattle, many of them
are far too big. But I can still see, hear and read about the Pyrenean being
capable of his work which he has done for centuries. Our Pyreneans are what
we make them, either the much loved family pet, The top winning show dog or
the great Livestock protector but we should never forget what they are
capable of and I think that is to protect what is theirs and if it is
threatened then they will act accordingly no matter what their height and
weight are! Just as an extra, most of the Saint owners I know here would
drink the brandy themselves but we always enjoy watching the Newfs at their
water trials, the age old instinct is still there and the Bernese and their
carting events are great to see too.
Jan
Jan Chaplin Ariege-Roussillon Pyreneans
visit PMDC Site at http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Zoo/6339/