Re: [PyrNet-L] size

See Jan, this is exactly what I am trying to get at, once again everyone
says we are sacrificing to size, but I think there is more to it than
that.  Is the size of the Saint the problem, or the terrible price that
the Saint paid for it's popularity, both years ago when it was in
fashion, and once again after the Beethoven craze.  Dalmatians are a much
smaller dog, but for the most part are a real mess these days for the
same reason, too much popularity, and these dogs get into the hands of
people who breed thinking they are going to get rich ( ha! ), rather than
caring about the breed.  I ( personally) don't think size is as much of
an enemy as bad breeding, and if good breeders cave in to " shrinking"
their dogs, thinking it makes them sounder, then our dogs get smaller but
still have problems.   I have always hated to see any breed get too
popular because of the mess human greed makes of them.  Mastiffs are in
fact larger than Saints ( most of the time ), and they too have problems,
but not necessarily those of the Saint.  I still don't think it is as
easy as saying " keep them smaller ".  Just my opinion. :-)   Cindy

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas

in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka