Re: [PyrNet-L] ethics - was size

Good grief - some things never change. I complained about that twenty
plus years ago. And while I don't feel that a breeder has to stand
on a rooftop and discuss the flaws/genetic defects of their dogs,
if they use their dog for stud or in other way impact the good of
the breed they have a moral obligation to make this information
known to the people who's breeding program will be effected.
But they don't need to tell the world - just the people with the
need to know.

Years ago I took a bitch to Frankie Glover after she had the
opportunity to check out her pedigree. After the breeding, she
sat me down with a seven (I think) generation pedigree. She
circled a bitch. She was a known carrier for a specific genetic
defect. Frankie had intentionally produced two litters with a puppy
with this particular defect. She advised me to learn that
pedigree and avoid all her relatives like the plague. It became academic
since my breeding days were shortly to come to an end, but I always
admired the way she handled it. She gave me this information,
and had I continued breeding, this information would be
valuable to me, to my breeding program and to the breed in
general.

I appreciated her honesty, and the trust she had in me to give
me this information. She was so different in this respect than
most of the other breeders we dealt with. I began to think that
I must have radio-active water that caused instant genetic
mutations. Because no one ever had seen the odd problems that
were popping up in my puppies. Yeah, right.

--
  Carol
 Carol Brescher Boyle                Improving the health of our dogs,

 Need a wholesome dog-friendly recipe? See the "Recipe of the month"
        at the our web-site http://www.naturaldogfood.com