Re: [PyrNet-L] gene pool size (was size)

JGentzel@aol.com wrote:

> Mrs. Crane registered over 60 dogs from all over Europe, but all over
> France primarily.  She reportedly imported over a 100 from Europe.
> Small gene pool was never a problem in Pyrs.

On the other hand ....

magicm@ameritech.net wrote:

> Mary Crane did import a great many dogs, but if you take those dogs back
>  to the french register you will find they are from a very limited gene
>  pool. There are few places on my pedigrees where I can't get them all
>  back to that original register and one is very surprised how limited it
>  can be.

This is an interesting contrast in observations to me.  Joe, if a small gene
pool was never a problem in the breed here, then I'm curious about something
that you (or Lisa or perhaps someone else) may be able to answer. Based on my
own informal observations/analysis of data and also conversations with others
who've been around longer than I have and are better versed on breed history,
I was under the impression that the *effective* number of founders (from a
population genetics standpoint) for the breed in this country amounted to
less than a dozen dogs, maybe only seven or eight dogs. That said, compared
to some breeds' founding events, 7-12 founders is ALOT!!!!

I'm aware, Joe, that you have a fairly extensive CompuPed database of Pyrs
and vast historical knowledge of the breed, so I'm wondering if perhaps you
can give an accurate statistic or make a fairly educated guess as to the
*actual* number of unique founders the breed population in this country was
established from?  Guess I'll pose the same question to Lisa: What is your
assessment based on the database you have?

I would also assume there was some sort of "genetic bottleneck" in Europe
(and possibly in the US as well) around the time of WWII. Assuming this is
correct, can either of you (or anyone else) perhaps give an idea as to the
effective number of breeding dogs that might be represented at that
bottleneck?  Possibly there have even been other such "bottlenecks" within
the breeding population at different times in history -- does any timeframe
or event in particular come to mind that either of you are aware of that
would have restricted the gene pool in such a manner that virtually all of
our current dogs are descended from such an "event" that would have resulted
in a very limited pool of breeding stock?

Joe, you mentioned "the most talented breeder in the history of the breed in
North America" and I'm wondering if perhaps the breeding activities during
that kennel's most successful years may well come close to constituting a
bottleneck of sorts for the breed???  Right off the top of my head I think of
a couple of dogs used to establish a successful breeding program in the late
60's that remained quite prominent throughout the seventies and beyond that I
would imagine only a tiny percentage of our current gene pool is not
descended from.

Also, how genetically diverse was the original founding population in the US
really? (In terms of relatedness versus genetic distance within that pool of
original foundation stock.)  My recollection from readings is that Mrs. Crane
took great care to import a very diverse group of specimens from as many
representative lines as possible and this included both "dogs of the
mountains" (primarily working dogs of peasant farmers) and dogs of the
original early "show" lines, but if all these dogs go back to a very small
number of common founding dogs, were these specimens that Mrs. Crane imported
indeed a genetically diverse group of distantly related dogs, or were they
all more or less rather closely related?

Thanks in advance to anyone who cares to offer their opinions on this (or
solid data would be even better!!!) I would happily do the data analysis and
number crunching to arrive at the answers to these questions myself if I had
a more complete database, but my database doesn't go that far back and I
suspect both yours and Lisa's are much more complete than mine. I'd really
like to find a way to do an in depth study of our current breeding population
and get at the answers to these types of questions. The more I read about
recent scientific studies and research that is the result of advancements in
molecular biology and genetics in the past few years, the more inclined I am
to believe that heterosis and genetic distance between mates (as opposed to
homozygosity and relatedness - the end result of generations of
"linebreeding") will generally yield healthier longer-lived dogs with a lower
incidence of genetic health defects.  Because of this, I'm very seriously
leaning towards a BIG change in the way I breed dogs.  Whereas in the past
I've pretty much stuck with the tried and true method of "linebreeding" with
the occasional outcross thrown in to achieve my objectives (as taught to me
by my mentors and as outlined in most of the classic books on dog breeding
and animal husbandry), I'm now more inclined to construct breedings between
mates that are as distantly related and as far removed from each other
genetically as possible with the lowest inbreeding coefficient I can achieve
within reason.  This of course would not be my *only* breeding criteria, but
something I'd like to strive for in addition to considering overall health,
longevity, temperament, type and structure, as well as whether or not
proposed mates are phenotypically complimentary to each other.  I have to
wonder if avoidance of linebreeding on its own merit may well be a key for
those who wish to increase overall size.  Recent genetic research certainly
suggests that inbreeding depression is more than just theory and very much a
reality. Reduced size is often mentioned by geneticists as one of the signs
of inbreeding depression.

Kelley Hoffman
kshoffman@aol.com