Re: [PyrNet-L] Pyreness

Welcome Tony...You will get plenty of help from this list.  I am sure of that!!  :-)  Good job with the pup and hope you enjoy him.
----- Original Message -----
From: Tony Leopold
To: pyrnet-l@gamerz.net
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 1999 2:54 PM
Subject: [PyrNet-L] Pyreness

Hello all-

I just signed up for this list b/c today I adopted a Great Pyreness from my local humane society. A breeder could not sell off all of her Pyreness and decided to dump the rest off (5 pups in all). (I have notified a Pyreness rescue group about the others)

The pup are all about 5 months old and have not been socialized one bit. I guess the breeder failed to take personal interest in her dogs. The dogs coats are full of burrs and other assorted gunk.....

We had to literally DRAG one of the male pups on a leash to the "visiting room" so I could pet and talk to him. After a good hour worth of petting and treating giving (that seemed to help a lot! :-) ) I started to gain its trust and it became much more friendly. When the dog was first brought into the room in ran to a corner and stuck its head down and away from me and would not look me in the eyes at all.

Next I tried to get it to walk with me on the leash....not an easy task, but with some treats, coupled with its arousing curiosity and my coaxing, I was able to get him outside and walking around on the leash with almost no difficulties.

The Humane Society folks were impressed.

So I decided I would adopt the pup. I wanted an Akita, but the this Pyreness pup won me over. I paid the 60 dollar adoption fee (which is a bargain for a Pyreness (as I understand), although it has no papers) and will be able to pick him up once he is spayed.

I was amazed......in just over 2 and 1/2 hours I was able to coax a happy, fun loving dog out of a emotional mess....a pup that had known basically no real love or attentiveness. This dog is so gentile and the look in its eyes so wonderful, I'm excited to get it home, to the groomer, eventually to the park, sleeping at the foot of the bed, ect......

Any advice any of you could give me would be great. I am new to the breed although I have learned quite a bit in the last couple day from the AKC website, some books, and other internet sites.

And a question: how many people subscribe to this list?

Thanks all,
Tony