Re(2): [PyrNet-L] Question:

Tony, I absolutely recommend taking Kane to obedience classes. Pyrs are
not the easiest dogs to train for obedience titles in the ring, largely
because they are so intelligent and bred to think for themselves! But in
my experience they are *very* easy to "civilize" to be wonderful members
of the family and great companions that you can be proud to take
everywhere. Guests are always astounded at how our two will lie peacefully
without attempting to disturb the "goodies" we've put out for munching,
even when they include such puppy favorites as Stilton cheese! Obedience
classes are marvelous for socialization and establishing basic behavior
patterns. Given that you have a slightly older puppy who missed a lot of
really early socialization, you might want to ask around and find a good
trainer who does puppy kindergarten and sometimes includes a larger, older
one. Paddington was 4 months when we did that, and there was a 3-year-old
schnauzer who was a fear biter. The trainer explained just what she needed
from the rest of us, and it turned out to be a marvelous experience for
all of us, including the schnauzer and her person. Ask around, observe a
class or two, and choose one that seems to fit in with the way you want to
relate to your dog. Our trainer also insisted on a home visit first, which
was wonderful, particularly because we had a young puppy who did not yet
have all his shots so was not ready for class. She observed us interacting
with him, had all kind of suggestions for addressing such problems as his
puppy biting, and by the time she left, he was responding to "sit," "off,"
"down," and even beginning to get "stay."

Ann, Peg, Paddington and Ivy Rose