Re: [PyrNet-L] Question:

In a message dated 6/17/99 11:59:44 AM EST, tleopold2@plantnet.com writes:

<< I'm considering having Kane (my rescue dog) trained/taken to obedience
classes. Has anyone here done that with their Pyre and if so, how did it work
out? >>

Well, Tony, I have seen those pictures in the Paul Strang book, of the pyrs
that were top in their class for obedience.  We took all 4 of our pyrs to
obedience class (not at the same time mind you), and while we won't be
chalking up field trial points, they are reasonably well behaved.  Especially
when you consider they are pretty much "independent thinkers".  Mind you, the
"down - stay" command was one of their favourites.  Kes surprised us by
actually looking up at David when he told her to "heel".  Our trainer said
she had never seen a pyr heel like that.  However, when it came to the
advance obedience class, with the small jumps - Kes simply stepped over them.
 It took too much work to "jump" them.

Good luck with the obedience.  I think it has made David and I the "alpha
dogs" in the pack.
Robyn