Re: [PyrNet-L] Question:

>Tony,
>
>A clicker gives a rapid, consistent and immediate response,
>usually followed by a treat. It is used as a training device,
>and once a response is learned, you don't need to use it.
>
>It is a means of getting your dog to Want to do what you
>are asking. Its based on the work that was done with dolphins
>since you cannot discipline a dolphin. What I learned from it
>is that if I cannot get Cajun to do what I want her to do, it is
>my inability to communicate with her. I can't get her to
>understand me. Its a totally different way of approaching
>"obedience."
>
>There are some other people on the list who can explain it
>better than I can. Janis, are you out there?
>
>--
>  Carol

Don't know how well I will be able to explain it, but here goes:

The Click is used to mark a particular behaviour that you want AS IT IS
OCCURING.  The dog can then be rewarded with a treat.  The dog is taught to
associate the click with 'oh! what I just did could get me a treat!'  As a
result the dog will begin to offer that behavour in the hope of getting a
treat. For example, say you want to teach the dog to sit:

 First step is to get the dog used to the sound of the click and that fact
that click means treat, so for a number of times you click, then give a
treat, click then give a treat, click then give a treat.  Start clicking
when the dog is not looking at you.  watch for the 'startle' reflex ie when
the dog hears the click and then turns to you looking for the treat.  This
is when you know the dog has an idea of what the click means.  Now you can
start 'shaping' a behaviour.

Start by clicking every time the dog sits by itself and giving a treat. (you
could also 'lure' the dog into the sit with the treat and click as the dogs
backside hits the ground - then give the treat).  Once the dog has got it a
few times, you will find the dog will start 'offering' the behaviour to you
to try and get a treat.  When the dog is 'offering' regularly, start
randomising the click and treat so you are not doing it every time.  This
actually increases the dogs offering behaviour (a bit like using a poker
machine - if we put a dollar in, pressed the button and got a dollar out
every time we used it, we would soon tire of it - the chance of a big reward
occasionally is much more appealing and keeps us pushing those buttons!!!).

You can now start associating a command with the behaviour.  What you would
do is start saying the word 'sit' AS the dog is sitting (not before at this
stage - you have to teach him what the word means first), click when he has
sat and then treat.  It wont take long for the dog to understand that 'sit'
means 'if I put my bum on the ground, I might get a treat'.  Eventually you
phase out the clicker for a taught behaviour  (but make sure you still
reward occasionally though, or you will extinguish the behaviour!)

Once the dog has learnt the basic 'sit' command, you can start 'shaping' it
the way you like it.  eg if you want quicker sits, click/treat only the
fastest sits. If you want sits straight beside you, click/treat the
straightest ones.  If you want sits close in front of you, click/treat the
closest ones. Remember to only work on shaping one thing at a time though,
or you will confuse the dog!

Clicker training can be used to train all sorts of things.  My Dally does a
fantastic 'stop, drop and roll' and 'crawl' among other things (fire dog
demo tricks!!).  She learnt the roll in one session with the clicker when I
noticed her rolling around the loungeroom floor and started clicking the
behaviour.

My older Pyr 'Halley' has had a few sessions with the clicker and has learnt
to shake hands on command (not a hard thing to teach those paw-offering
Pyrs) and to run to a target (good for teaching 'go to your mat'! :-D)

You do need to practice timing the click properly.  If you are even just a
little late, you could be rewarding the wrong behaviour (although you can
get away with it occasionally).  Make sure you train in different places,
with the dog in different locations around you and at different times.  For
eg whan training the 'sit' by training only in the lounge and with the dog
sitting in front of you and not eg beside you, you may be teaching the dog
that 'sit' means 'sit in front of mum in the loungeroom'! (and then you take
him out and wonder why he wont sit - after all 'he always does it at home'!
:-D).

Here is a site on clicker training which may interest those who want to find
out more - has some good links, and you can even here what a clicker sounds
like! http://www.iag.net/~bestpaw/bpftrain.html

Tracy Bassett
espinay@dynamite.com.au
Canberra, Australia