Re: [PyrNet-L] Pyr's That Don't Like Toys

>     Does anyone have a Pyr that doesn't like toys? We have showered our
>girls with endless things that I thought would be fun, but all they seem to
>really enjoy are the edibles like rawhides and pigs ears. >
>-Emily Hainsworth

My older girl Halley, despite being showered with toys from day one (9 weeks
old) by me, has never really been into toys. (edible treats are another
thing!)  Her one exception is a teddy bear - but I would not really class
him as a 'toy'.  She has a very special little red plaid bear that I made
for her.  This is the only toy that the other dogs (who REALLY love toys!)
will not steal, play with, chew up, destroy etc, despite the fact that I am
sure she would not argue with them if they took it.  They seem somehow to
know to leave it alone (?). Halley is a consummate 'worrier' and often has
'fits' of separation anxiety as I leave for work.  Not every day, and not
even every week, but when she does, she goes in to a flat spin panic.  Quite
distressing to watch! We (she) has learnt to control these 'attacks' by
grabbing that little red bear and holding it in her mouth (I pick it up and
rub my scent on it and put it by the gate before I go to work each morning
just in case she needs it - she might not touch it for days or weeks).  She
still paces around and winges, but it is not the full out frenzy that it
would be otherwise.  On those days when this occurs, I usually come home and
find I have to dig up the bear from where she has buried it in her favourite
sleeping pit!!!!  God bless this poor little battered bear! :-D

Tracy Bassett
espinay@dynamite.com.au
Canberra, Australia