Re: [PyrNet-L] New with questions

Merrilie wrote:

And do they always leave the water dish before they have swallowed the last gulp?????? He is SO messy...:):):):):)  but what a lover!

Hi Merrilie!

    We also just acquired a Pyr (female) named Bear and she is part water dog I'm certain! :)  She started right in by sticking her nose all the way into her bowl and shaking her head from side to side splashing water all over the floor.  Then she would dip each of her front feet in her bowl to cool off.  I was amazed, delighted, and determined not to have a staurated house!  :)  I went to PetSmart and found a dog sized water bottle.  It looks like a giant water bottle that you would find in a rabbit cage.  It took 2-3 tries, showing her how to work it and she was on her way.  I have to say that, while it did stop her from creating a mess with her nose and paws, she has figured out that she can create a puddle if she lets the water fall out of her mouth while she drinks!!  >;)  We got a mat to put right under the bottle and that contains the puddle pretty well.  The bottle is attached to her kennel and she has free access to it whenever she is thristy - which seems to be all the time.  I hope this helps a bit.  If you don't have a PetSmart in your area, you might ask your vet or local pet/feed stores if they know of the product.  I can't remember the exact name, but it is made by Lixit Productions of Napa, California.

    Best wishes!

    Amy, Jeff, Mischief, and Bear