Re: [PyrNet-L] need help

Gitano Road wrote:
I am on another list and just read where the mother dog will soon be looking for a retirement home. She is an ex show dog and had to have an emergency spay. So she is no longer viable as a producer. As soon as the babies are weaned she will be looking for a home for this momma dog. This stuff sickens me no end and I want to respond to her email. Does anyone know WHY people are like this? Or is this just another example of a breeder that only cares about $$$. It is not pyrenees. another breed. thanks.
While you and I could never even *think* of doing such a thing, you need to look at it from the breeder's perspective. Their dogs are not pets to them -- they are part of the business. They only have so many runs, and a non-productive bitch is taking up room where a productive one could be housed.

Having said that, I believe that most Pyr breeders are *not* that cold. One large-scale local one here treats every one of her dogs as pets. She cares deeply about each and every one of them. Yet even she will place her older bitches with loving, caring families. That's just a fact of life. If she didn't, most of her kennel would eventually consist of the "old gals," and she wouldn't be able to carry out the successful breeding program that has given so many of us the joy of owning a Great Pyrenees.

Joe Bruns