[PyrNet-L] dewclaws

I think what it means Tracy is that the dog with single dewclaws may not be
a carrier of this gene even though he exhibits it, for example the monorchid
dog who has just the one testicle even though Dad had two and of course Mum
had none.  Back to pheno/genotype or as Mae West would have said, "Whatcha
see is whatcha get" and what you don't see you also get. It's confused me
for years but I also know of a bitch with a single dewclaw having a litter
and all pups had double dewclaws. This was in your own country many years
ago.  What this would do is well and truly establish that gene into the
bloodlines and later on present itself in a litter. To avoid this one would
have to well and truly outcross but as Joe says it could be recessive and
you would never know.  I think maybe that's how we do inherit things we
don't want and we are none the wiser at the time.
Jan
Jan Chaplin Ariege-Roussillon Pyreneans
visit PMDC Site at http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Zoo/6339/