Re: [PyrNet-L] Breeding

Couldn't agree more with what you are saying about being prepared to keep
the entire litter as well as being prepared to spend large amounts of money
if something goes wrong.  By breeding, you are obligated to not only treat a
puppy if a serious health problem occurs but keep in mind that placing
puppies may become difficult if a littermate develops a health problem that
the puppies may also develop or carry.  ( A fact you are morally obligated
to divulge to potential puppy buyers).

Do yourself a big favour and talk to some long time breeders and try to find
one that you can develop a rapport with and most importantly someone you can
TRUST to tell you about the warts along with the attributes.  There is no
substitute I have ever found for sitting at a table with someone like this
and really listening to what they have to say.  In years and years of
breeding, they have no doubt made many of the errors we will make.  One
thing I have found is that even though you may have had Pyrs for years and
even been breeding for a number of them that it can be a very humbling
experience to discover just how much you don't know.

I will say, that done responsibly and with your bitch, her puppies, and the
breed in general's best interests at heart, breeding can be a wonderful
experience.

Take Care,
Doug Hustins
Acroyar Great Pyrenees