Re: [PyrNet-L] Too young Pups.

I will say that the public has a hand at taking pups too early.  This has
been a pet peeve of mine for a long time ( back with the Mastiff's ), and
I am sure breeder's of Pyrs. have heard this too!

People want a very large breed dog ( or a giant, as the case may be ),
but they want a very tiny puppy.  Eight week old pups in Pyrs., or other
big breeds are not all that small of pup.  These people don't care that
because they are big breeds they mature emotionally long after small
breeds, and that their fluffy big pup is still very much a baby
emotionally.  They just want a small pup.  Then in the next breath they
can't figure out why their pup isn't learning fast enough ( because he is
too darn young to be away from his litter! ).  If you hand them a ten
week old pup, they don't even want it, not small and cuddly enough?

Eventually they get a back yard breeder to sell their pups at four/five
weeks ( so they are smaller ), and then rescue gets to deal with those
emotional/ failure to thrive pups.  This has upset me for a long time,
and I had to vent.  I used to just hate it when I refused to sell a pup
at less than ten weeks to an experienced dog person, and twelve weeks to
those inexperienced ones, and had to argue the size of the pup.  Of
course the people who really cared would go along with it, and you would
loose the others to someone willing to sell a pup at a mo. old.  I was
glad I held my ground on my own pups, but you still knew that some poor
baby was loosing out!  EEeerrrr, makes me so mad!       Cindy.

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas

in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka