Re: [PyrNet-L] Kane the terror dog :-)

Tony:
Our 4-year old male, Aslan, is also what I would sometimes call a "terror
dog."  He's the most loving, affectionate, beautiful dog, HOWEVER, he destroys
things (wooden and steel doors, baby gates, stairs, carpeting) when he's
bored, scared, or experiencing separation anxiety. Sometimes (NOT always!)
giving him rawhides to chew on helped.  Sometimes they didn't do the trick.

We tried many of the sprays that supposedly repelled dogs.  The only spray
that worked for us is called "Bitter End."  It's made with cayenne pepper.
It's so effective that if I accidentally breathe it in while I'm spraying it,
I have a coughing/choking fit.  But it works to stop him from chewing whatever
it's sprayed on!  ;)  And it doesn't only work for the times you spray it on
-- what I mean is that if you spray the item every day for a period of time,
he will think it will always have that taste so he'll eventually not approach
that item at all.

I also found that he didn't chew as much when I exercised him to the point of
exhaustion by walking him, running him, playing with him, etc.  I know these
things are time-intensive, but we found them to be the only answer.

Good luck.  I know how hard it is to come home every night wondering what will
have been destroyed that day.

mw

"Tony Leopold" <tleopold2@plantnet.com> on 07/01/99 08:58:58 PM

Please respond to pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org