Re: [PyrNet-L] swimming/exercise

<<I had on a friend's gumboots because I couldn't find mine, along came a
rogue wave and took the wee guy off his feet and filled the gummies up with
water!! Had an awful job trying to get poor wee Frankie to his feet being
waterlogged as I was. The crutch of my trackpants was down round my knees.
>>Jan

LOL Jan!  I can just imagine it!  Been in a bit of a similar situation
myself (though without the gumboots! :-D) - Every year in February my dogs
and I (and most of this areas dog showing population) go on an 'annual
holiday' to attend a three day weekend of shows at Bermagui, a small
fishing/holiday town on the coast.  Oval where the shows are held is right
next to the beach and the caravan park where we camp.  The town welcomes
'the dog people' with open arms and even flies a big banner over the road
into town every year with 'welcome to the doggies' on it!   We always take a
few extra days to laze around and take the dogs swimming on the beach.  Last
Feb we were walking along the edge of the water watching the dogs play and a
huge wave just washed straight over me! Sopping wet from head to toe and
nothing to change in to!!  Luckily Cookie my Dally was the only one really
swimming at the time.  She is a real 'surfer girl' and took it in her
stride.  The other dogs, who were further up the beach, just seemed to look
and laugh at me, as did the friends I was with (great friends :-/)  LOL!

On a more serious note, you are right that a bad experience with water,
particularly in the early stages, can really set things back - all the more
reason to take it slowly.  One thing I have noticed is that pups who are
born coming into summer, who are exposed to water (swimming, sprinklers,
wading pools) early, tend to be very keen on water while pups born coming
into winter, who dont get this early exposure, while they may enjoy
swimming, aren't as mad keen on it and can generally 'take it or leave it'
(anyone else notice this?)  Friend of mine has a Dally who will get in her
water bucket (fairly big container, but only just enough room fo a full
grown Dally!) and emerse herself up to her neck!  So funny to see this dog
curled up in the bucket with just her head sticking out! LOL!

Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia
espinay@dynamite.com.au
http://members.dynamite.com.au/espinay/index.htm