[PyrNet-L] Chat: Anais at 5 Months

Hi!

Hope everyone is enjoying their 4th of July weekend!

Anais is so big now that she can just barely run underneath Ciaran
(IW)'s belly.  She still bounces off the walls, using the sofa as a
springboard, but either from the heat or just growing up, she seems to
be calming down a bit.

She still spends 75% of her waking hours "attacking" Ciaran.  She either
jumps on him and chews his ears or she ducks between his front legs,
runs under his belly and bites his back knees.  He's pretty patient and
gentle with her and even initiates the play sometimes.  When she's too
tired to "attack" him, they lay next to each other and rest up.

She's attending obedience classes where she isn't <G> although she will
"sit" or "down"  to be let out of her pen or before dinner or for a
treat without fail.  I guess it all depends on whether she sees any
advantage to "obeying" <G>.  She has learned to walk fairly nicely on
leash, though.  She's also attending "show handling"  classes just in
case.  She enjoys the opportunity to get out and see people and other
dogs.

Today we went to the town 4th of July celebration where she got a lot of
attention.  She sat calmly for all the petting and attention.  I was
very proud of her.  She just took it all in stride.

We still have the dirty front legs and under the chin problem but I
tried rubbing in and brushing out cornstarch today before the picnic and
it worked better than anything else I've tried so far and wasn't even as
messy as I expected.  Of course, I did have to change my own clothes
when I was done <G>.

One new problem has come up.  She has started to growl when my son (28
years old, not a child, whom she adores) or one of the other dogs comes
near her crate when she is eating.  My four dogs are all on separate
diets so they have to be kept separate to eat.     I don't know if being
fed in her crate is part of the problem.  We have tried feeding her
while holding her dish in our hands, feeding her out of our hands,
adding a treat to her dish while she is eating, and just petting her
while she eats, depending on the circumstances, and it seems to be
getting better, at least with the people.  Are we doing the right
thing?  How common is this?  Any other suggestions?

Over all, she is a sweet, wonderful dog and has captured out hearts!

Thank you all for your your support in this new experience for us!

Stephanie, Anais, Ciaran (IW), & Midnight & Smedley (geriatric
poodle/sheltie twins)