Re: [PyrNet-L] luxating patella

Amy:  I had that problem in my poodle..  Being that I use to Vet. Tech.I
was present for both surgerys..  We did one leg at a time. making sure
that the first on had healed completely before doing the other leg..  He
was fine after that.  He did pass away  6 years later do to other
problems..  The one leg was worse then the other leg, and did have to
wire some of the muscle tissue back together..  IF you want any more
info. just ask..

Judy
AZ.

Apache Valley Ranch
http://community.webtv.net/ApacheValley/INLOVINGMEMORYOF

---- Begin included message ----
First, Happy 4th to all our American friends.  We hope you had a safe
celebration yesterday.  Second, we have been given some distressing news
regarding our new Pyr puppy, Bear.  She has been diagnosed with a
laterally luxating patella (kneecap pops out of joint to the outside of
her leg) on her right rear leg and Jeff and I were wondering if anyone
else has any experience with this condition in Pyrs.  Our Mischief also
had a luxating patella on her left rear and went through surgery to
correct the problem,  This condition is more often seen in small breeds
(Mischief is a Bichon) and our vet was surprised and frustrated to see
it in Bear.  She knows how long we have been waiting for her and how
long we have worked with the breeder, getting to know mom and learn more
about the breed from the breeders.  Because Bear is just 3 months old
the vet (actually 2 of them as we already got a second opinion that
verified the condition) is very unsure whether surgery is a viable
option at this time because Bear is still growing.  We should hear from
a surgeon soon regarding his opinion on timing.  Has anyone dealt with
this problem in their Pyr?  If so, how well did your friend recover?
Our vet(s) are also concerned with hip displasia now, Mom and Dad were
both deemed Good and Excellent by OFA.  Even if the parentage seems
strong, does anyone know what the risk is for a pup coming from that
background to develop hip problems?  We would love some input on this as
it would help us to understand the issues more clearly.

    Thanks!

    Amy, Jeff, Mischief, and Limping Bear :(