Re: [PyrNet-L] luxating patella

Amy Taylor Graves wrote:

> Second, we have been given some distressing news
> regarding our new Pyr puppy, Bear.  She has been diagnosed with a
> laterally luxating patella (kneecap pops out of joint to the outside of
> her leg) on her right rear leg and Jeff and I were wondering if anyone
> else has any experience with this condition in Pyrs.

When I adopted Willow at the age of 10 months...I located her old vet and it
was noted in her file that she had a luxating patella (right rear leg). I
also knew that in her other home she did not receive much exercise
continuously (either tied or crated for most of her early months)...only in
spurts. Her old vet wanted to do the surgery ASAP. I took her to Dr. Holland
(my vet) and his attitude was one of "let's see how things go. She's young
and needs to build muscle". So, from November of last year until about
February of this year Willow's knee popped about 4-5 times. Each time she
was patient enough for me to maneuver the knee cap back into place. Since I
have had her she has grown and built up muscle and is in much better
condition that when I first brought her home. I can't tell you what to do
with your dog...but I can tell you that I waited and it was the right thing
to do for Willow. She now runs, jumps and has a ball playing with no adverse
affects and no knee problems since this past winter. Her knees have been
checked again by my vet and he says that they are in great condition...don't
know what will happen as she ages but for now...she's super!

--
Michaelene & Savannah Leigh, neighborhood busy body,
Tony III, my companion, my protector, and

To a dog..."If there is no God for thee, then there is no God for me." A.H.
Branch

The puppers: http://www.30below.com/~innerpuppie/puppers
Tony II at the Bridge: http://www.bargraph.com/tony
Michigan Great Pyrenees Rescue: http://mail.globalbiz.net/~pyr4u/index.htm