Re: [PyrNet-L] spine transitional vertebra

Dancingpyr@aol.com wrote:

> Seems, in layman terms, that the spine area located at the lumbar - sacroid
> regions can't decide whether it is to be a lumbar type spine or a sacroid
> type.  This is a genetic type of problem, but shouldn't be an issue if bred
> to a dog that doesn't have this problem.

I am wondering how this "spinal confusion" shows itself in a Pyr?  What were the
symptoms that led you to the vet and then to this diagnosis?  I just went to
Bear's breeder's vet and he feels that too many things are being attributed to
genetics and not to other possibilities.  He confirms that Bear's patella is
luxating, but won't confirm that it is due to genetics.  He alluded to the
possibility of a mis-aligned spine as the reason for the lux.  The breeders feel
that we may be the reason for the lux.  I am so frustrated - I have three vets
that say that pateller luxation is genetic or severe trama induced.  Bear hasn't
had any trauma to that leg that I am aware of.  The breeder feels that it must be
from an injury because in 20 some years of breeding they have never seen the
problem.  I am going to get an ortho. consult., but am beginning to ware down.
If we did cause an injury to Bear by accident, I am quite willing to accept
responsibility, but if not... The breeder's vet said we may never be able to
prove it either way.  Where does that leave a person?  I'm sorry, but I am
feeling rather frustrated and upset at the moment.

    Amy, Jeff, Mischief, and Bear