Re: [PyrNet-L] Bitiing

On 12 Jul 99, at 8:21, clhenke@juno.com wrote:

> Since this has been going on for awhile you may need to do a dominance
> thing with him!  Next time grab him  fast, flip him on his back, holding
> the scruff on his neck, give a loud " No" and growl at him.  Hold him till
> he submits and lays quietly.  Repeat this a few times, and see if he
> doesn't start listening to you.  He is still a baby, but must get some
> respect for you now.

Cindy, with all due respect, the dominance roll is a very extreme
correction for any dog, let alone a baby who needs to learn
appropriate behavior.  Another correction would be to grab the dog by
the ruff on the sides of the head and lift the dog's front legs off
the ground giving a verbal correction. This I would not even do with
a pup. And only if I was sure I was physically able to carry out the
correction. Puppies can be wiggly and squirmy and this correction may
not work on them either.

Charlotte's suggestion of straddling a pup, calming it and rubbing
it's chest is an excellent way to control a pup. At under 4 months
that is really all that should be needed to control a pup, along with
firm, kind, consistent training. Consistent being the key word here.

Granted some of the boys can be a handful to say the least.  I had
quite a time with my boy and the nipping and also when he reached 7
months and thought it was great fun to jump on mom. With firm, kind
training methods, he is now a well behaved adult.

Young pups are developing not only physically, but in temperament
also.  I personally am very careful that I don't inadvertently
promote any type of human aggression or shyness when training a young
pup.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico