Re: [PyrNet-L] One of those day?

On 12 Jul 99, at 16:40, Merrilie wrote:
> I guess everyone, including dogs, has one of those days..... I came home
> from work, and he had peed, pooped in the house not just once...... and I
> took him outside to do his thing... nope.... then when I tried to work
> with him, he wanted no part of it.  Pulled on the leash, chewed the leash,
> ran, fought, played, bit my knees.... and this went on for at least 10
> mins.  He is not about to cooperate, learn or whatever no matter what!  Is
> this common?

What's your reinforcers, as in treats?  Puppies generally like treats
of some kind.  They have short attention spans.  Make lessons
short.  And use the reinforcers.  Praise and reinforce that good
behavior!

Same thing on housetraining.  Crate the puppy when you're gone
and put on a schedule for going outside.  Treat and praise puppy
for going potty where supposed to.

I think puppy have already learned that he can bamboozle his
owner very well and get away with what he wants too from the
sounds of it.  Put puppy in a kindergarten puppy class and start
socializing and working on good puppy manners.

Janice, janices@jump.net
Admiral & Linsey (newfs), Bianca & Sonny (pyrs)
http://www.jump.net/~janices/
Leander, TX