Re: [PyrNet-L] Question about food:

Robyn,
As others have said, the reason for feeding a low protein food is to
slow down the rate of growth.  There does seem to be a connection
between too rapid growth and panosteitus (growing pains).  The first
thing we recommend to people whose pups are limping is to change the
food to a lower protein.....sometimes this is all that is needed to stop
the limping.  We once had a pup who was growing very fast and had a bad
case of  pano.  We actually put him on senior food.  He still grew to be
one of the largest Pyrs we have had.  Aside from the growth rate, I
really don't believe that Pyrs, as a low- metabolism low energy breed,
do well on the high energy and high protein and fat foods required by
high-energy dogs.  There seem to be many more incidents of food
allergies and intestinal and skin problems with those foods.
Charlotte