[PyrNet-L] Sam's biting

Hi Merrilie,

I feel for you as you go through this frustrating time with Sam.  We had much
the same problem with Travis almost from the moment we picked him up at 7
weeks (maybe too early?).  If we were sitting down he would jump at our heads
and bite and our face and neck; if walking, he would launch himself from
behind and shred our jeans.  He was a beautiful pup (and is a handsome big boy
now) but it was so hard to bond with him because of his dominant behavior.
The breeder was always available for advice, but her suggestions to throw him
on his back and hold him down by the throat just made his behavior worse and
would work him into a real rage.  Like Charlotte, we finally had success when
we switched from that to holding him down between our forearms and stroking
him over and over until the mood subsided.  That and also training him for
five minutes at morning and night - just simple sit, down and stay, with
plenty of treats - that seemed to increase his bonding with us and accepting
us as alpha.  The biting fits (really bursts of wild joie de vivre, usually
happening after he had had vigorous exercise) decreased as he matured, as we
trained him more, and as we learned more which kind of training (the
'gentling' kind) worked for him.  I wish I had known then what I do know!  His
puppyhood was rather miserable for me, since I wanted so much to love my
little boy yet he was really a monster.  You WILL discover what works though,
and he will reward you a thousandfold for your patience.  Please hang in
there!

Gerry and Tuff Travis and Sugar