Re: [PyrNet-L] RE: puppy food switch

We switch our puppies over to adult at about 3 months.  We previously left
everyone on puppy food until they hit the six month range.  A few years ago
I had a chance to read a study done by one of the veterinary universities,
Cornell or Guelph, I'm not sure.  I have it around here somewhere.  If I can
find it, I will post the exact numbers, but the study was on the effects on
giant breed puppies who are fed high protein puppy food vs. those fed more
moderate protein adult foods.  (Note: not to open an old argument but they
listed Pyrs as a giant breed based on a number of medical factors)  The
study was done with Great Danes.

The results were that the puppies on high protein grew much faster to their
final height.  The puppies on the lower protein foods grew to the same
average heights but took considerably longer to get there.  Also, they found
that the bone mass was higher in the slow growing dogs and that the tensile
strength of the bones was also higher.  There were also lower instances of a
number of structure related medical conditions both while growing and later
in life.  (Not surprisingly, dysplasia was an exception.  The numbers were
virtually identical.)  Finally, the average life span of the lower protein
dogs was considerably longer.  The exact reasons for this, I don't remember
off the top of my head.

While no one study is totally convincing about anything, we did take this
one to heart and switched our methods about 7 years ago. We breed 1-2
litters a year meaning we have watched some 100+ pups mature from our own
breedings.  While I can't say what the effect in each bloodline would be, in
ours we have found much the same as in the above study.  The puppies grow in
height up to and in some cases well beyond their second birthdays.  I have
one bitch who grew over an inch (confirmed by measuring clinics) between the
ages of 2 and 3.  We have noticed no shinking of the average height and have
had far fewer structure related problems.  Interestingly, among the puppy
buyers who choose not to follow our instructions and feed a puppy food the
occurances of pano' and other problems of that type are much higher.

I believe everyone needs to do what they believe is best for their dogs.
This is just what we have found.

Take Care
Doug Hustins,
Acroyar Great Pyrenees