Re: [PyrNet-L] Question about food - other high protein concerns

Robyn wrote:
<<Have another question regarding high protein food.  With our wether goats,
we feed a lower protein food because high protein feed can cause higher
incidents of urinary track stones.  Do dogs (particularily males) suffer
from
the same thing with high protein food?>>

Dogs can form urinary stones, but I think the only type that protien (or
more specifically purines which are a type of protein) has a role is
creating are urate stones.  These types of stones are, to my knowledge, only
found in Dalmatians.  Dally's are the only breed of dog that has uric acid
in its urine the same has humans do.  I am presuming that goats manufacture
uric acid too? (does this mean that my Dally is part human, part goat? -
sure acts like it sometimes! LOL!)

Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia
espinay@dynamite.com.au