Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: Chat: Questions on Spaying

It's good to ask your questions early like you are.  Here's just my opinion
on some of them.

1)   At 5 months, it's hard to judge a dog's show potential, unless you've
been working with pyrs for years.  Our first pyr, Kes was almost a year when
we showed her the first time, while Kes was just over 6 months.  After a
couple shows with Kes, it became evident that not only did she have some
"faults", but she Really didn't like the whole process of showing.  Zoe,
however, is very much a ham, and enjoys the whole process (yes, even the
bathing).  Also, she came from an established breeder, who suggested we get
her, because she was show quality.  Yes, we feel she has potential, but
again, time will tell.

2)  With your males neutered, there won't be a problem with breeding when she
comes into heat.  However, do you have a secure place to keep her when you're
not there?  After all, a female in season is VERY entising to ANY male in the
neighborhood.

3)  Regarding health issues - yes, there is a reduction in such diseases as
ovarian cancer.  The stats - I don't have, but I'm sure some of the other
folks on the list can give them to you.  From what I understand, the earlier
you spay, the higher the stats are for preventing these diseases.

4)