Re: [PyrNet-L] pyr intelligence

In a message dated 7/20/99 7:08:43 AM Central Daylight Time,
wetheri@emmanuel.edu writes:

<< I love the independent thought processes of these dogs, and the way you
 have to figure ways to work together with them, not simply train them to
 follow commands. >>
    If you remember these dogs are bred to live in the mountains with a flock
of sheep -- with or without a human companion -- and to protect those sheep
(who incase there is any doubt) are not so intelligent from wolves and bear
who are very skillful at getting sheep to eat.   They also protect goats who
are slightly more intelligent and can figure out how to get into trouble
without the wolves or bear.
       These dogs who sleep all day and bark all night are your companion but
if they were doing what they have been bred to to for hundreds of years they
would have to think to keep their family alive (sheep- goats- you).   Well on
that note I guess to some degree they are doing what they have been bred to
do keeping their flock safe.
Pam