Re: [PyrNet-L] pyr intelligence

Before we got the Pyrs. and got a big 5 gal. waterer, my little Shih-Tzu,
Su-Ling, would on occasion carry  her small water bowl to wherever we
were , sit-up, and after a few minutes walk back to the kitchen  sink.
She would repeat this until one of the dumb humans took notice and filled
her bowl.  I have actually had people ask me, how I knew she wanted
water!  Duh!!  Also, and this one makes me see red, I have been asked if
all these dogs actually know their own names?  Frankly I worry about the
human race a whole lot more than how the dogs are doing intellectually!

I did see one of these authors on a T.V. program explaining how these "
intelligence " tests were performed.  In one test he showed a group of
dogs a cup, and a dog treat.  He proceeded to put the treat inside the
cup, as they watched, and then deposited the cup/treat under a heavy box!
 The object of course was yo get under the box, tip the cup, and get the
treat.  Problem is, not all of the dogs were food oriented enough to
"care" about this test.  He in fact deemed the Mastiff that was there as
none too bright!  I kept thinking, pretend to hurt a child and throw him
under the box, and I bet you see that Mastiff move heaven and earth to
get at him!  We had to hand feed the Masties to keep them up to show
weight, and while I am sure there must be some that are food oriented, I
can't say that I have seen one.  Only humans think the dogs should " care
" to participate in this nonsense, but the dogs themselves don't care
what we " think" of their brainpower.

I've often wondered what they actually think of us in that we not only
cannot smell things as well as they do, but we can't process the
information in our brains the way they do.  They derive incredible
amounts of information from scent that we can't begin to understand.
They don't seem to care if we appear none to bright about these things.
And no, I have never felt that dogs see us as " Gods " as some seem to
feel.

As Pam pointed out, Wolves and Bears are incredibly intelligent hunters,
Bears being especially good at turning the tables and hunting man at
times.  Dogs that defend the flocks must be intelligent to deal with
this, or they won't last long, I would think.

Could some one give me a short version of the Bears and Pyrs. tale that
everyone is talking about?  I don't have internet, and miss a lot of the
good stuff!    Thanks,  Cindy.

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas