Re: [PyrNet-L] Another Newbie!

In a message dated 9/1/99 12:07:47 PM EST, designabilities@linkline.com
writes:

<< I
 have a small flock of poultry, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on
 training her for "guardian duties" with the flock? >>

Welcome to the "group" - hope your "little" bundle of fluff is truely an
angle!

Now, about pyrs and poultry.  We have chickens and geese.  Kes, Baron, and
Tanuki all respect them, as these three were pretty much grew up with the
fowl.  Zoe, however, had never so much as seen a bird until she arrived here
in South Carolina.  So, she thinks these are great things to chase.....until
Mummy yells at her and quickly whisks her back in the house.  I would start
your Angle with the poultry as you would any other livestock animal.
Possibly put her in a crate, or other enclosed area, where the poultry can be
at liberty around her, and she can see them and get use to their movements
and sounds, but not chase them.  Gradually, let her out with the poultry -
first with supervision, and gradually unsupervised, as you learn to trust her
and she learns her duties.   Also, do you handle your poultry.  I know with
our chickens, I pick them up quite often, and I think they then have my scent
on them.  The dogs know that this is "mummy's chicken" and have less of a
tendency to go after them.

Good luck - Robyn