Re: [PyrNet-L] Zeke is home/ Dewclaws

On 3 Sep 99, at 19:50, ARIEGE wrote:

> Next time here I get a shot of something from the
> Vet first before even attempting to do the "Bad Boys" nails again. Frankie
> managed to pull a paw back yesterday while getting his nails trimmed and
> there was enough blood for a transfusion.

I have one of those wimpy boys with extremely long quicks.  The first
nail I trimmed when he was a pup, there was blood everywhere.  Then I
could not touch his nails.  So off to a groomer we went for a nail
trimming.  He fought and screamed so the groomer finally stood him,
tied him to a post and luckily he realized he was going to choke
himself if he did not settle.  The groomer then proceeded to slowly
trim each nail holding the foot off the floor, with lots of praise.
The second time I stood by him with a training collar on him and
corrected him everytime he acted up. Now I just take him to the vets
for the nail trim, he stands politely.  Luckily his nails do not grow
fast at all and he allows me to do the dew claws which do grow more
than the other nails. Standing them with someone holding the head
seems to work well for some that think it's the end of the world.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico