Re: [[Re: [PyrNet-L] Zeke is Home!]/Dew claws]

On 2 Sep 99, at 22:39, ROBERT STABILE wrote:

> I looked over him pretty well. He needs a nail trim desperately. I will do
> that when I get home tonight. The dew claws were really bad. But it did
> not seem to be re-entering his pads. But they are very very long.

Robb,

Be careful when trimming the tail, it takes forever to grow back and
sometimes it's never the same.  I assume he has bad matts in the
tail.  A mixture of any doggy cream rinse and water mixed 50/50
sprayed on the matt and worked in will allow you to comb out most of
the matt easily. But it does take lots of patience, for you and
usually the dog too.  Most hate having their tails done.  When you
have most of the matts out then you can do a bit of trimming.
Clipping the pants and rear and belly is usually the easiest way to
get rid of matts and grossness.  Those areas will grow back. Most of
these rescues are really in bad shape.  I used to try and brush them
out entirely, but now have resorted to clipping the rear pants and
belly.  Just don't want my nose that close anymore.  It's best to get
all the matts out before you bathe them, as bathing will set the
matts and make them impossible to get out.  Bathing also does not get
the stink out of matts.  It's also a good idea to have a box of
surgical or latex gloves on hand when you are working on them.  Many
groomers at Petsmart type stores will clip for you and possibly
donate part of the fee if they know it's a rescue dog. Our club
recently took a rescue dog to Petsmart for grooming and the groomer
did not charge us at all.  Naturally she got a big thank you from the
club. Good Luck with the toughest grooming job you will ever do.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico