Re: [PyrNet-L] Zeke Update

On 3 Sep 99, at 23:41, ROBERT STABILE wrote:

> Wow, where do I start? I have not posted for a day because we have had our
> hands full.
Robb, I certainly hope you are saving and printing out your posts to
the list to keep as a personal journal. Great Posts!

As Zeke feels more comfortable in his new surroundings you should be
prepared for more squabbles between he and Guilty.  Hopefully the
boys will get along.  Plan on having a place you can separate the
boys if things get out of hand. I can't remember, is Zeke neutered?
If not, that should be on the 'to do soon' list. I think some links
were posted on introducing a new dog, but here is another.
http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/introdog.htm
Right now Zeke is stressed, hard to believe yes, but he has been
removed from what was familiar to him.  Soon he will realize what a
great home he has. But there is an adjustment period for all rescues,
sometimes taking 3-4 months. As he becomes more confident with his
surroundings, he may start to challenge Guilty's status as alpha dog.
You will see the dynamics change daily as Zeke settles in. You really
know nothing about Zeke, but will be learning daily <g>.

Right now Zeke is soaking up all the attention he has missed.  It's
important to remember that it sounds like this dog was neglected,
with no training or socialization.  As Zeke gets more confident he
may try to establish a stronger position in your home than you want.
Getting him started in a basic dog obedience class would also be a
good idea.

I am always amazed with these pyrs, they seem to grow into such good
dogs, even with lack of direction and training, but some of the young
male rescues do need a gentle, firm hand in getting them to the point
of polite well behaved boys.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico