[PyrNet-L] RE: Low voltage fencing

OnTue, 07 Sep 1999 09:34:38 PDT, Marcie, Greg, Talon & Tilly wrote

We have Talon (7 mo pyr) & Tilly (5 yr lab) who both defy fences.. We. .
.snip . . .now we have an electrified above ground fence similar to the ones
that keep horses in.. The voltage is very low & it seems to do the trick...
I tried this low voltage, on-of-on pulsing fence designed for dogs and small
animals with a Samoyed male I used to have.  While he didn't exactly lift
his leg on it, he had absolutely no respect for it.  Samoyeds are
double-coated much like the Pyrs.  When I called the vet (Dr. Wolfe), she
just laughed and said, "no, no, no.  Snowball does not qualify as 'dogs and
small animals'.  You need a regular stock charger."  So we went from 110
volt to 1100 volt.  We had one wire at the top of the 4' fence and another
set on small rods with insulators out about 8-10" from the fence on the
ground to discourage digging.  At that, if he could duck his head and take
it on the mane (had a ruff like a lion), the wire never made contact and he
never got shocked.  We finally had to set the bottom height so that when he
ducked his head, he took it on the bridge of the nose.  I won't say it
doesn't hurt them.  Having backed into it once or twice, it bites like mad!
But it will not cause tissue damage.  They quickly learn to respect it.  And
it beats the hell out of having them hit when you live anywhere near a busy
street.  It took Snowball about 1 hour and 3-4 "bites" to discover that it
bit him everywhere on the fence, and bit him every time he touched it.
After a couple weeks, we had the fence off half the time, and he still
stopped his roaming.  Good luck.

Jack Mowery and Belle of the Amarillo Mountains (Daddy, what are the funny
yellow poles in the backyard?)