Re: [Re: [PyrNet-L] Zeke Update]

On 7 Sep 99, at 23:13, ROBERT STABILE wrote:

> I still put Zeke in the bedroom when someone visits because it is Guilty's
> job to great them and Zeke gets soooo excited when someone comes over and
> Guilty does not care for that. I know it will trigger a spat. So until
> they are a little more stable with one another I will just alternate who
> gets to greet guests.

Robb, as soon as you get the all clear on Zeke's health, starting him
in a dog obedience class will really help.  Zeke also needs to learn
polite proper behavior, especially when in the house and when guests
come.  You can start now by putting him on lead and at the sit before
you open the door to people. STAND BACK,  let Guilty greet the
guests, then let Zeke do the same on lead, praise him for being calm.
 Then take him back to his room.  Zeke is a teenager who has never
had any socialization or training and having a rambunctious tho thin
pyr in the house can be quite disconcerting, to say the least.

I am still concerned about the two boys being allowed together.  You
know nothing about Zeke yet and as he becomes more confident and
mature, problems may arise.  As you described, Zeke and Guilty
guarding and looking out the window, many times this will trigger a
confrontation, with the alpha dog correcting the other dog.  I've
seen it happen at my fence line many times, the alpha dog turning on
the other dogs, "get back, this is my job, if I need help I will let
you know".

Right now Zeke is like a kid turned loose in a candy shop. He has
been neglected for so long that he over reacts when he gets
attention, the same way a wiggly puppy does when someone comes to the
house.  In time and with some correction Zeke will be a well behaved
boy.  Please don't get too complacent about leaving those two boys
together unattended.  Zeke is changing daily and with two territorial
males disagreements can erupt in a second. The more at home Zeke
feels the more territorial he will become, right now he is not
challenging Guilty, but that may change. If you don't have a crate, I
would suggest getting at least one.  They are a great training aid
and a way to separate the boys when you can't be watching them.

I'm not trying to be a dooms sayer, but a fight between two males is
not fun and something that can be prevented.

Hope you get into the vet today, so we all have some nails left
<vbg>.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico