Re: [Re: [Re: [PyrNet-L] Zeke Update]]

Robb, as soon as you get the all clear on Zeke's health, starting him
in a dog obedience class will really help.  Zeke also needs to learn
polite proper behavior, especially when in the house and when guests
come.  You can start now by putting him on lead and at the sit before
you open the door to people. STAND BACK,

Puppy kindergarden hear we come!!! : ) lol I agree he needs to learn proper
behavior. I think it is hysterical the way he tears through the house and
slams into the ground two feet before his victum and slides to a gentle stop
an inch before their feet belly up. By the way that is not an exageration... I
will start the lead thing w/STAND BACK thanx. After the company is in and
everyone is settled Guilty and Zeke are fine in the house together. I only
seperate them for the initial entrance. We have already started obedience with
Zeke. Basics sit, stay, come, heal, front etc. He is actually quite quick and
eager to please. Whats really fun as that while we are working with Zeke
Guilty is right there and he follows the instruction. We say sit, Guilty and
Zeke sit. So we praise them both.
It is quite funny.

I am still concerned about the two boys being allowed together.  You
know nothing about Zeke yet and as he becomes more confident and
mature, problems may arise.  As you described, Zeke and Guilty
guarding and looking out the window, many times this will trigger a
confrontation, with the alpha dog correcting the other dog.  I've
seen it happen at my fence line many times, the alpha dog turning on
the other dogs, "get back, this is my job, if I need help I will let
you know".

I don't know Zeke all that well but I do know Guilty.... I can read his body
language and his facial expressions he gets excited at whatever it is Zeke is
barking at jumps off the bed snorting like the Bullie that he is and
investigates with Zeke. Then when he see's Zeke was barking at air he leaves.
I of course praising them both to the moon. "What GOOD boys you are". I do
that in the daytime as well. I think Zeke knows that Guilty is Top dog. This
has been a shared responsiblity before for Guilty. We had a St Bernard and
they would investigate together.
Your concern for the two being left alone together is understandable. But I
think that we should take baby steps towards allowing that to happen leaving
them unseperated at night is a nice small step. We would never leave the boys
unsupervised during the day if we go to the store or something. Before we
leave we put one in the bedroom and the other loose in the rest of the house.

Right now Zeke is like a kid turned loose in a candy shop. He has
been neglected for so long that he over reacts when he gets
attention, the same way a wiggly puppy does when someone comes to the
house.  In time and with some correction Zeke will be a well behaved
boy.  Please don't get too complacent about leaving those two boys
together unattended.

Yes he sure is. We all react when we get attention. I of course do not want
Zeke jumping on people but I enjoy being licked and when I see Zeke and Guilty
I am more excited to see them after a long day at work than they are to see
me. I get down on the ground and roll all over the place with them Guilty
first of course. Zeke seems to be my snuggler. Which I love. I miss Samson he
was the same way. Just an utter airhead. Very very intelligent, just an
airhead. SAMSON YOU ARE MISSED! :(  We lost him to displaysia....

I'm not trying to be a dooms sayer, but a fight between two males is
not fun and something that can be prevented.

Absolutely I could not agree more. But they have to establish their boundaries
themselves. Guilty knows his place and Zeke is learning his. I do not think
you are a doom sayer at all and I appreciate the advice. I would never allow
them to hurt oneanother at all.

Thanx for the response and concern.

InPyrs we trust... And Bullies of course
Robb

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico

Robb, Lea, Alex, Pietro, Guilty "The Bully", Bo "The Mutt",  Zeke "The Great
Pyr" & Scetch "The African Grey"