[PyrNet-L] Chat: The gardeners...

There has been some talk about our Pyrs chewing and I was feelin'
pretty smug...hadn't had many antics going around this place for
quite a while...well, just when you get a smile on your face and
put the vacuum cleaner away there's some fuzzy butt, or three,
who decides to prove you wrong!

Do Pyrs ever grow up? Do they ever grow out of their sense of
humor? Is there an age where they become all serious and
sensible? Don't think so! Fall is coming to upper Michigan and
the dogs are blowing their coats like crazy. I found a wonderful
groomer at a very good price and decided that I would have all
the dogg-o's groomed while I cleaned every nook and cranny in the
house while they were gettin' all clean and smellin' good.

Picked them up and boy what a difference...smelled great, all
soft and perfectly coifed. All 3 had the appearance of an angel!
Bandannas around their necks, manicured toe nails, fluffy tails
(except for Miss Leigh, she doesn't have one), and an odor that
made me think of bouquets of field flowers. Brought them home and
decided that they could nap while I ran to the store for some
necessities.

When I got home and opened the back door with my parcels in hand,
all three of my cute angels ran outside without as much as a
slobbery kiss for me...hmmmm...they really must have had to *go*,
I thought. No more had I opened the kitchen door and I smelled
dirt! How in the world could I have this noxious odor in my
house, I wondered, especially since I had just cleaned the place
from top to bottom and placed cinnamon potpourri in little jars
on the end tables when I finished my task.

I looked into the living room...there...and everywhere, for that
matter, lay Phyllis...dear, dear Phyllis. A Calla Lily that I
loved, tended and watched grow from the tiniest little nub to the
glorious plant that she once WAS! Dirt was flung high and
low...poor Phyliss' leaves in every room of the house and her
roots...her little feet...munched on, ripped apart, and without
so much as a thought from her executioners, draped on furniture,
tossed into the sun porch and dragged into the hall.

When I put my purchases on the counter I looked into the back
yard and there were 3 dogs...dogs with angelic faces, bright, new
bandannas and coats that glistened in the sun playing and
smiling...tails wagging like happiness was theirs alone! Little
would anyone walking by seeing those dogs playing in my yard know
of the death of poor, dear Phyllis...a plant that traveled with
me to my home 4 years ago. A plant that I nurtured and enjoyed. A
plant who, every now and then, would grace me with the loveliest
of blooms...

As I opened the closet door to put a new bag in the vacuum
cleaner and to get a grocery bag for the largest of Phyllis'
remains, I said a little prayer and picked up the largest
portions of what was once a beautiful plant...and...at the same
time, thought of all the *dog people* I know, and how when you
share your home and life with these adorable, and maddening,
creatures there are good days and there are bad...this happened
to be one of those not so good days for me...and an especially
bad day for Phyllis!

--
Michaelene & Savannah Leigh, spaniel busy body,
Tony III, GSD protector & Willow, Pyrenean guardian.