[PyrNet-L] Breeding and Rescue (was Help: Mounting )

<<  I respect your opinion and agree, but Cindy had asked for one more
litter,. >>

Merrilie, with all due respect, you really might want to reconsider this
breeding.  Cindy Henke makes some very valid points about the number of Dals
in rescue.  I'm on a couple of dog-rescue lists and every single day, there
are requests and pleas from people looking for help with Dal Rescue.  Today,
there were 5 already!  When Disney released 101 Dalmations, these puppies
because soooo popular that Dal rescue is feeling the repercussions of this
and will for some time to come.

<< I plan on having him neutered soon...... only problem is that Sam is
going first because of the entropian surgery- we are doing entropian +
spaying at the same time to cut down on the anesthesia for him.  I can't
afford to do both dogs at the same time- >>

I understand this.  Dogs can be expensive to care for...

<< Barney will hopefully go next month.  In the meantime.........>>

Just because he's still intact, does NOT mean that you still have to breed
him.  Some questions to ask yourself (if you haven't already):
- will he conform to breed standard?
- does the bitch conform to breed standard?
- are their any congenital (or other) health problems in the either dog?
- do you both have homes for all of these puppies?
- who will untimately be responsible for these puppies if you can't find
homes (realistically you may not be able to)?
- do you have a contract with the bitches owner as to who is responsible for
what expenses?
- can you or the bitches owner take back any dog that the owners can no
longer keep?  If you and the bitches owner can't help be responsible for
these pups for their lifetime (part of being ethical and reputable), then
IMO, this dog should not be bred.

As someone who is VERY active in Great Pyrenees rescue, I urge you to think
twice about this.  Contact the national Dal rescue people and ask for
numbers.  Remember, we live in a disposible society where there may not
always be rescue folks to clean up after people whose dog has become an
"inconvenience".  And keep in mind that not everyone that you sell a puppy
to will love that puppy or treat it as you would treat your own.

Off my soapbox...
Karen Reiter
Pyrenean Fanciers of the Northeast Rescue Chair
http://www.servtech.com/~kreiter/pfne/