Re: [PyrNet-L] Mouthing

The method we have always used is as follows:

2-3 times per day take your puppy into a smaller enclosed area with a door.
The bathroom usually works well.  Play with the puppy until he nips at you
fairly hard.  Immediately shout "owww" in a high voice and leave the room
closing the door.  Wait 3-5 minutes and return for your puppy.  Resume your
normal routine at this time.  Your puppy will very quickly associate nipping
with the cessation of play and since a puppy loves nothing better than
attention this will work very effectively.

You will have to gradually lower the criteria for the "owww" and leave.  Go
from hard nipping to any feeling of teeth to soft mouthing to any placement
of his mouth on you.  This has an outstanding effect on the puppy.  It works
on older dogs but with much more time required since the play desire is
usually lower in an adult dog.

I really like this method because you are using motivation rather than
penalty avoidence.  A motivationalist trainer showed us this method a number
of years ago and we have trained all our puppies with it ever since with
great success.  Hope this helps.

Take Care,
Doug Hustins
Acroyar Great Pyrenees