Re: [PyrNet-L] Ivermectin

<<We are considering changing from Interceptor as a heartworm and other
parasite preventative to ivermectin.  It has been suggested that we can use
bovine ivermectin that does the same thing but is much cheaper.  Has anyone
had any experience with this?  I don't want to make this change without more
knowledge.>>Charlotte

Yep, I use ivermectin for my dogs.  Much cheaper to buy it this way and very
easy to dose (just squirt in the mouth with a small syringe).  Most vets
won't suggest it as it is not 'prescribed' for dogs in that form.  Many vets
will give it to you if you ask though - most often if they know you will be
competent administering the correct dosage (which is quite small).
Ivermectin is basically the active ingredient of Heartguard.  Actually if
you read some of the clinical trials for Heartguard, they refer to it as
ivermectin throughout.

Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia
espinay@dynamite.com.au