Re: [PyrNet-L] Flea and tick preventives

<< My parents had the same problem with their pyr.  Is
 this something anyone else has seen?  What do you do
 about it?   >>

This past spring and summer, my mother had this problem with her pyr -- but
we didn't!  Strange thing is, her pyr stays in the house most of the time
(Candy was 10 years old on Oct 14th so she's quite happy to be a house dog).
And while my mother's property has woods to the back, it's not like she lives
in a woods.  Our property, however, is in a woods, and all of our dogs are
out a great deal during the day.

Candy was covered in the tiny ticks, the ones that look like seed pods.
Mother had her on Advantage, then added the Provectic collar, but no success.
 Now she's on Frontline, as it's supposed to be better for the ticks.  She
hasn't had any in a while, but tick season around here is also over.

As for our dogs, we had the odd tick - usually found above the eye, but fleas
were our  biggest problem.  After using Frontline for several months at 4
week intervals, I went back into the vets to see if it would be ok to bathe
the dogs in a flea shampoo while using the Frontline.  The vet assistants
looked at me as if I had just come from Mars... "if you're using Frontline,
you don't have fleas" was the response.  Well, I didn't have fleas, but the
dogs surely did :-)  Needless to say, the dogs got bathed and the house and
kennels were all sprayed.  This seemed to eliminate the problem.

I find with ticks or fleas, using the chemical products helps, but they do
not eliminate the need for regular grooming and a careful go-over of the dog.
 Nothing beats the "personal touch".

Robyn
dancingpyr@aol.com
Taylors, South Carolina