Re: [PyrNet-L] Bil-Jac

Just a warning -- after reading a Consumer Reports article that said the
expensive dog foods (Iams, Science Diet, etc.) weren't any better (in fact,
were worse) that Wal-Mart/Sam's Club brand Old Roy, we switched our Pyrs to
Wal-Mart's Old Roy. One of our Pyrs, for some still unknown reason, was unable
to process any of the nutrients in it.

Within six months, he went from 130 to 90 pounds, his hair became thin and
very dull, he had constant ear infections, and unexplainable and unhealing
lesions on the tops of his paws.  Meanwhile, we were at the vet weekly running
blood tests, stool tests, urine tests, skin scrapings, etc.  (Thank God for
pet insurance!)  We were on antibiotics, and every other kind of medicine you
can imagine.  And then one day it dawned on me that his food was different and
he didn't have any problems before that!  In short, we were starving our poor
dog to death and didn't even know it.  Talk about feeling horrible.

Well, after that, Consumer Reports ran a retraction saying that the testing
had been skewed and was inaccurate.  Science Diet and the like are still the
best dog foods on the market!

Just so I'm not misleading anyone... our other Pyr had absolutely no trouble
with Old Roy.  It's just that some dogs have strange/finicky digestive
systems.  So if you watch your dog closely, you should be fine.

In the end, it all turned out fine: we put him back on Science Diet (he got
dry as well as two cans of food a day -- how heavenly!), and gained all his
weight back in three months.  His coat is now back to it's original fullness,
and he's doing great!

Marcia Williamson
Wheaton, IL

Dancingpyr@aol.com on 11/01/99 12:24:18 PM