Re(2): [PyrNet-L] shock collars and walking off lead

I had to be convinced about pinch collars, but I too use one on
Paddington. He *never* pulls when he has it on, and we enjoy our walks
much better. He's enormously strong, and occasionally will take exception
to another dog intruding into his world (which includes the Greater Boston
metropolitan area). I'd rather know that I can control him, even in this
situation. And I don't think it's done a thing to damage our
relationship--just watch him sitting while I put drops in his ear,
smooching on the floor, etc. I think it has everything to do with how you
use any of these tools. We introduced the pinch collar during a training
class (our trainer won't allow use until she's sure the dog understands
the command and is mature enough to pay attention and learn), and we never
actually gave a correction with it ourselves. Rather, the dogs realized
that if they refused to do what we'd just commanded (heel, etc) they'd
give themselves the correction. Perhaps ideally we'd all spend enough time
with our dogs that they'd never pull on leash, no matter what, but I'm not
an "ideal" companion to my dogs given that I have to work etc., and I
think this is kinder than having them risk injury by pulling out of my
control, or straining too hard against a conventional collar.
Ann, Peg, Paddington and Ivy Rose