Re: [PyrNet-L] shock collars and walking off lead

Doug, while I think I understand where you're coming from, I do not think
that devices like shock collars or pinch collars are necessary in all
situations for all dogs.  Nor am I advocating cruelty toward animals -- no
one said ANYTHING about using things like baseball bats to hit a dog.
However I do believe that there are situations that warrant more severe
measures.

Just recently in a dog obedience training class, a man had a Chesapeake
Retriever.  He and his wife had rescued this dog from the vet's office, where
its original owner had left it to be put down.  Seems the original owner was
having major discipline problems with the dog.  It soon became evident that
if this dog didn't want to do something, he would turn on the person giving
the command.  Not only did he have a go at the new owner, but he also tried
to bite the trainer!  At this time, a head collar with a muzzle was used, but
while the dog couldn't bite the person, this didn't help with disciplining
the dog.  A pinch collar was used, and after a time or two, the dog began to
respond.  By the end of the 8 weeks, the owner and dog were working without
muzzle or pinch collar.  In this situation, without more strict training
devices, this dog would have probably been taken back to the vet's office,
and this time put down.  While not all dogs are able to be "saved," at least
this gives a dog a chance.
This was a strong willed dog, use to bullying to get his own way.  Not an
easy dog to change.

My mother has a 10 year old Pyr.  When Mother takes her out for a walk, she
will have Candy on a choke collar.  When you see these two together, you
wonder if it's necessary, as they tend to walk along quietly together.  Well,
if Candy sees something she wants to go after, the only thing that's stopping
her is the choke collar, which she respects.  If Mother didn't use it, she
wouldn't be able to adequately control Candy.  Does that mean my 76 year old
mother should give up her Pyr, just because of the collar she uses?  You can
bet your sweet bippy she won't!  For without that dog, she would have
probably died last year when Dad passed away.

Regards,
Robyn
dancingpyr@aol.com
Taylors, South Carolina